Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Turkeys Scratching Around...


Like my title, huh?! I know..its totally amazing. Anyway, it comes from my favorite Jerry Falwell quote of the day. Today in convo he was talking about the verse where we can "mount up with wings as eagles..." and then he quoted Helen Keller on something about 'who could be content to creep when we could soar' or something like that..and then he goes "So..do you want to be an eagle..OR a turkey scratching around??" .....
......maybe ya had to be there..but anyway I was cracking up about it all convo. Then I got to go through the wonderfully delightful fun of registering for fall classes at Liberty University. All these beautiful little sweetheart surprises come into the picture, like hard holds and PIN numbers and student accounts and lifted flags and all that....crap. But besides that, I now have a 16-hour fall 2007 schedule, which is pretty sweet.

SO. Today was magnificent.

Ok I lied.

Today was ok.

And I shaved my head.


ok just kidding I didn't shave my head.
but I did have frizzy hair. In light of eternity, though, this has no value. So I'll quit rambling about it.

ANYway. I went to campus church tonight and I always find it funny how (confession) a lot of times I don't want to go to begin with, but then I feel a tug pulling me there, almost like I can sense that God is trying to get through my thick head (...and frizzy hair).
So I go.
And boy do I always hear His Voice.
Not in a shouting way that knocks me over. And not in a quiet whisper that confounds me. I hear His voice in a particular line of song, or in something that Ergun says. It's always a "wow" moment, and applies so well to what I was feeling or needing to know at that point.
Tonight's wow moment was through the entire message. Ergun spoke on Knowing What Your Calling Is. At least this week I brought an index card to write on... :) but still ran out of room. (Maybe in a couple of weeks I'll graduate up to an actual peice of college-ruled paper.)
The Scripture he spoke on was 1 John 2:18-28. Verse 27 pretty much sums it all up: "As for you, the anointing you recieved from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit---just as it has taught you, remain in him."
First of all Ergun gave us this definition:
*ANOINTING: God's specific touch, for a specific task, at a specific time.
Wow. There ya go. Talk about specific. Then he went on to point out that when you are truly called, money doesn't matter. You should do it all for the mission and not the cash coming in. He even went as far as to say that if the only reason you're doing a specific major/ job is for how much you'll make, it's not a calling from God. That's pretty intense, but so true. Some other points that caused me to "wow" were:
*Be willing to ask God for a calling, not a career. (You may be called to move out of your comfort zone).
*Don't EVER settle for a beaurocracy.
*Would you do what you do for nothing except what it took to pay the bills?
And, he closed with reminding us that nothing is more liberating than being in the will of God.
All of these points seemed to come together and impact me with a force so powerful I couldn't ignore it. I'd known for a while that I wanted to be a worship technology major and do something with recording studios/ whatever... but tonight those desires that I have for that type of ministry were affirmed. Thank you God for doing that!

So, in summation, hopefully God can use even these pitiful little notes that I took on an orange 3x5 card with a light-up basketball pen. Maybe it was something you've been struggling with, or maybe you just needed to remember to listen for those moments when God wants you to really get something. But here I go and send 'em out to you. May you live in God's marvelous light, and remain in Him.
Peace out!

1 comment:

Angela said...

i'm so glad i don't have to go through registering for classes anymore (yay graduation!).

thanks for posting your notes from campus church. that spoke to me as well ... about a lot of things i've been mulling over lately. i think i have a little more clarity on it now.

and your title rocks =).